what do i do if my wife will not sign the final divorce decree?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what do i do if my wife will not sign the final divorce decree?

i have filed for divorce. wife has signed the papers stating she des not contest the divorce. the final divorce decree has been issued but she refuses to sign them. i am not asking for anything from her except for her to sign the papers. can i file a missing spouse divorce in the state of texas

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Family Law, Texas


Roy L. Reeves / Reeves Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Please verify, your spouse signed the waiver but will not sign the decree?  If this is the case, and 60 days have passed since you filed, go finish the divorce you have stepped through all the loops and hoops.  

In Texas, a party must be served or waive service.  Once this is done, the parties must wait 60 days minimum from filing and go final.  The non-appearing party must either sign the decree or the waiver, either one will serve the final purpose of appearance.  Both are nice but not required.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption