What do I do if my mother passed without a Will and her house going into forclosure

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 6, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if my mother passed without a Will and her house going into forclosure

There are 6 siblings.

Asked on April 6, 2015 under Estate Planning, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If there is no surving spouse, the house would go to the six of you--IF it is not foreclosed upon. The bank has the right to foreclose if the mortgage or home equity loan is not paid. If it's worthwhile to do so--i.e. if there is a decent amount of equity in the house after paying the mortgage--it is very likely that the six of you could negotiate/work with the bank to pay off the mortgage or replace it with a new loan, in order to keep the home, after which you could sell it and split the proceeds. You'd also need to get the court appointed administrator (who is in charge of the estate when there is no will) involved.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption