What do I do if my landlord will not fix an electrical problem?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if my landlord will not fix an electrical problem?

I notified them 5 days ago about this problem along with our air condition being low on freon. They looked at both problems they next day & have not been back to fix either problem. The room with electrical issues has no working lights in it.

Asked on September 3, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

All leases come with an implied warranty of fitness and one of habitability. These are requirements that the landlord will maintain the property, at least as to critical issues affecting the use of the premises and habitability (i.e. not including aesthetic or minor issues, not peeling paint or a cabinet with a broken door). Electrical and air conditioning would seem to both fall under  this rubric, which means you have rights. Unfortunately, to enforce those rights you may have to sue your landlord. You should consult with an attorney to determine your exact rights, how best to enforce them, and the cost to proceed, so you can make an imformed decision as to what to do. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption