What do I do if my employerhas not paid my insurance premiums but continues to deduct for it from my paycheck?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if my employerhas not paid my insurance premiums but continues to deduct for it from my paycheck?

I went to fill my prescriptions and I was notified by the pharmacist that my insurance was no valid. I called my insurance company and they said my coverage was cancelled over 2 months ago. My employer, even after I spoke to him, continues to deduct my premiums from my paycheck. Today I received a bill from a past physician’s appointment and treatments received that day in the amount of $4284. It was noted on the bill, insurance was not in affect at the time of the appointment. Can you direct me in how to correct this situation? What are my legal rights/options?

Asked on September 10, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) The company has a contractual obligation to remit your premiums to the insurer when you have signed up for the insurance and authorized deductions. For violating that obligation, the company is potentially liable for both any and all health costs which you incurred which should have been paid (but weren't, because of the failure to pay premiums) and for providing insurance going forward, for at least the balance of this policy year.

2) Note that if the money was deliberately withheld by the company--e.g. the company itself or an employee pocketed it--rather than simply being an oversight or negligence, then there may be criminal liability as well; taking someone's money when you are not entitled to is theft.

You have legal recourse. You should retain an attorney to help you vindicate your rights. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption