What do I do if I was at fault for an accident with my car was but didn’t have insurance at the time?

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I was at fault for an accident with my car was but didn’t have insurance at the time?

I’m now being sued.

Asked on November 24, 2014 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you didn't have insurance at the time, it doesn't matter if you subsequently obtained insurance: an insurer only needs to pay if there was insurance at the time of the accident.

You can try to defend against the suit. You can defend on either or both of the basis that you are not liable, or financially responsible, because the other driver was at fault (you are only liable if and to the degree you were at fault in causing the accident), and/or the amount of damage (i.e. that the other person is overstating their car damage or injuries, and therefore is not entitled to as much money--they can only get, even if they win the case, what is provably the result of your at-fault actions).

Of course, the facts may be against you--it may be that you were at fault and they did suffer the injuries, damage, costs, etc. they are claiming. If that's the case, you'll very likely lose the lawsuit.

You can try to settle, or get them to agree to accept less money, and/or money paid out over time instead of all at once, to satisfy the suit. They may take this because that way, they avoid the cost, time, and uncertainty (no case is every 100% guaranteed to win) of trial. If you and then can agree on a number or payment plan, this may resolve the matter.

If you can't successfully defend or try and lose, and also cannot settle on terms you can live with, you may need to consider bankruptcy as an option: bankruptcy works on debts from car accidents as long the accident did not involve DUI/DWI (you can't discharge DUI/DWI debts in bankruptcy).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption