What do I do if I need a divorce and have no money?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I need a divorce and have no money?

The guy I stupidly married harassed me so much I had to press charges. I am not supposed to talk to him. He has messaged my best friend wanting a divorce as well but he’s crazy he really is crazy; I didn’t know how much until after and I don’t trust him. I need someone to tell me what I should do. Otherwise, I still need a divorce but have no money. Can you please help me?

Asked on May 16, 2018 under Family Law, Mississippi


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can contact Legal Aid to see if you qualify for representation by them. If not, check to see if there is a law school nearby to where you live as many run legal clinics that take cases such as yours. Also, see if the local county/state bar association has a list of attorneys who will take divorce cases for low income individuals. Finally, you can file yourself; check online for the process in your state. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption