What do I do if I know I was listed to get a percentage of a friend’s estate but was overlooked?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I know I was listed to get a percentage of a friend’s estate but was overlooked?

What legal avenue can I do to get my share?

Asked on January 14, 2016 under Estate Planning, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you were in the friend's will (and the will was valid--e.g. properly written, signed, witnessed, etc.) then you have to get was left to you. A will must go through probate and will be on file with the court: you can check with the court and verify whether you are owed anything and, if you are, could bring a legal action to get it. (You most likely should hire an attorney to help you with this.)
But oral promises or an intention to put you into a will doesn't count--you'd be entitled to something only if you were actually given something in a will. If you were not in the will, or if there is no will, you are not entitled to any share of your friend's estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption