What do I do if I have damages from mold in my apartment?

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I have damages from mold in my apartment?

My landlord says they are not responsible. However, I have a lot of money for clothes and furniture that I have to replace. I also got sick and they don’t want to move me to another unit.

Asked on December 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to treat the lease as terminated, due to a violation of the implied warranty of habitability (the mold condition; that it makes the apartment unsafe or unfit to live in) and move out without penalty. Alternately, you could seek a court order requiring the landlord to remediate, or correct, this condition. In either event, you could also sue for monetary compensation: for damaged goods, for cleaning, for medical costs, etc. You should speak with a landlord-tenant attorney to discuss your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption