What do I do if I have a court date in another county that’s 8 hours away and have a court date the same day in the county that I live in?

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 9, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I have a court date in another county that’s 8 hours away and have a court date the same day in the county that I live in?

I was charged with 12 year old bad checks last month. I had a court date last week in my 2 year old who was recently diagnosed with cancer was hospitalized so I emailed the DEA and got a continuance. The new court date is on 04/11 which is also the same day as my court date in Transylvania County on a different charge. How can I get another continuance for my court date in

Onslow County?

Asked on April 9, 2019 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

All you can do is provide written proof to the Onslow County court that you have a conflicting court dater in Transylvania County at the same time--given that the court date is in a day, however, it may be too late to do this and both get and confirm the adjournment.
What you really should do is hire a lawyer TODAY to show up in Onslow County for you with a copy of the docket card or scheduling order from Transylvania County. If a lawyer shows up for you with proof of another court date, you should not be punished for non-appearance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption