What do I do if disbursement of funds has not happened as per the terms of a Trust?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if disbursement of funds has not happened as per the terms of a Trust?

My sisters and I are beneficiaries in my grandmother’s Will. We are supposed to receive the

remaining amount at the age of 35. Last year, one of my sisters turned 35 but received nothing. This year I turned 35 and have gotten nothing but the runaround from the lawyer and the trustee or executor. Never once have we received a printout of funds or an accounting. Now that I have been asking for copies of things but all I hear is they’ll let me know when it’s ready. What can I do?

Asked on August 27, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Beneficiaries of a trust can bring a legal action in chancery court (a part or division of county court) against the trust and trustee seeking an "accounting": that is, requiring the trustee to account for and justify his actions and show that he is following the terms or instructions of the trust, not engaging in "self dealing" (i.e. not benefiting himself at the beneficiaries' expenses) and also using reasonable care in the discharge of his duties. If he has violated his "fiduciary duty" (the duty of loyalty and care imposed by law on trustees) or the terms of the trust, the court can do one or more of the following: undo some of his actions; force him to personally repay monies diverted from or taken from the trust; replace him as trustee. This can be a complex legal action to bring--certainly more so than, say, suing someone in small claims court--so you should retain an attorney to help you. Speak to a trusts and estates attorney about your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption