What do I do if an attorney is attempting to freeze my bank accounts to pay a debt?

UPDATED: May 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if an attorney is attempting to freeze my bank accounts to pay a debt?

I recently received a letter in the mail from an attorney’s office representing a credit card company that I owe money. The letter was an execution for an incorrect bank to freeze my account. I spoke with the attorney’s office this morning and told them I would like to set up a voluntary payment plan. The attorney recorded all of my information and attempted to get the name of my correct bank from me. I told him that I felt uncomfortable with this since they attempted to freeze the incorrect bank already. Should I trust him to work with me, or should I consider filing bankruptcy?

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Neither route for you (filing bankruptcy or giving him the information) is the best solution for you. If you truly cannot pay your bills, then bankruptcy may be the best option overall but try to avoid it because it will make a big hit on your credit report. Ultimately, you may wish to simply scrounge up the money and send the check via U.S. Certified Mail or Registered Mail to the attorney's office with the memo section stating this is payment in full for the xyz debt. If the attorney refuses, you can use this to dispute the debt itself with the credit reporting agencies and show you attempted payment and it was refused by the creditor's agent (the lawyer).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption