What do I do after the bank forcloses but does not record it?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do after the bank forcloses but does not record it?

My house went into foreclosure and was auctioned about 2 weeks ago. The bank was the high bidder. 2 weeks later the county assessor’s web site still shows me as the owner and the HOA and city want me to pay the dues and water bill respectively. Am I still liable for those expenses? How do I compel the bank to record?

Asked on August 18, 2011 Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there has been a trustee's sale of the first trust deed or motgage on your home where the lending institution is the owner through the bid process, but the trustee's deed concerning the foreclosure has yet to be recorded on your former home, you are not obligated on any recorded liens that affixed to the property that you lost.

However, you would be obligated for any claims resulting in a lawsuit and judgment against you for obligations owed to the homeowner's association, utility bills and the like when you owned the home.

You would not be obligated for any such bills incurred on the day of the trustee's sale or afterwards regarding the home.

As far as getting the trustee's deed recorded concerning the foreclosure, you need to contact the trustee and make an inquiry as to when it will be recorded. Usually the deed is recorded on the day of sale to the successful bidder.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption