What do I do about a supervisor who is clearly discriminating against me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do about a supervisor who is clearly discriminating against me?

A few months ago he would try flirting with me. I brought it to the attention of the owners. I told them how uncomfortable it made me. So he got mean. The day of a hurricane I was very sad because I couldn’t get in touch with my father. He lives in the USVI. He made a comment that I shouldn’t be mad because the island was so small they didn’t have planes anyway. Now he is deliberately ignoring me at work. He doesn’t acknowledge my existence at all. He’s gotten to the point where he hands the lady that sits 7 feet away from me my mail then points to and tells her to distribute the mail. He is my supervisor so I cc’d him on emails that I send out and instead of answering me he tries to argue with me in the emails. I really want to quit because it’s so frustrating.

Asked on February 15, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You could bring a sexual harassment complaint against him to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC): it is illegal harassment to treat an employee worse or differently because she wil not return a supervisor's romantic interest. Before bringing a complaint, you have to report the situation to higher-ups at work and give the employer a chance to look into and rectify the situation--but since you have already done that, if the employer has not and will not take action, you can now bring the complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption