What do I do about a letter from an insurance company I just received?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do about a letter from an insurance company I just received?

I have no insurance and was in an accident that was my fault. There was minor damage to the person’s bumper. I just received a letter from her insurance company telling me to pay a $3000.00 bill. What do I do?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Accident Law, Wisconsin


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If the accident truly was completely your fault, and you did $3,000 worth of damage to the other person's car, you have two options, really.  One is to find a way to pay the money, perhaps by negotiating with the insurance company for a payment plan.  The other is to wait for them to sue you, which they will, and get a judgment and come after you with it.

But without knowing all the facts, I can't tell you that you were 100% liable, and you might be surprised to find out that maybe you weren't.  You also haven't said what proof you've been given of the dollar amount; I'd expect to see a detailed repair estimate at the very least -- but don't be surprised if it is a $3,000 bumper, because the crash safety features built in -- and which might have made it look like just "minor" damage outside -- often have to be replaced.

For reliable advice about what to do next, you need to speak to an attorney in your area, who can review the entire situation.  One place to find a qualified lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption