What do I do about a Bad supervisor?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do about a Bad supervisor?

My supervisor is constantly talking down to the crew, lying and covering up her mistakes by blaming the crew. I work with food and she has forced me to work with a fever and other illnesses. I was working with a cold during Christmas Eve and she came in to

Asked on February 19, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, there is nothing you can about a bad supervisor: the law doesn't require supervisors to be fair, to be reasonable, to be professional, to be honest, or to run businesses well. They can be, quite frankly, abusive and dishonest. Your only recourse for an awful manager is to seek a different job. 
The one thing you describe that the law does have a remedy for is working off the clock: whether the additional work is your fault, your manager's fault, or no one's fault, if you're hourly and you work, you have to be paid for it. You could technically file a wage and hour complaint with the department of labor or file small claims lawsuit for your off the clock time, though whether a few hours of unpaid work is worth doing so is debatable. 
Your employer can make you use/pay for your own gas or other expenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption