What do I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do?

About a week or so ago I rear-ended a car but there was only a few small scratches, barely any damage at all. The driver did not want to get the police or insurance involved and I did but we ended up not. I offered to pay for any damages. New Link Destination
day I received a letter saying that I was the one who didn’t want the insurance or police involved and I was also sent 3 quotes for the damages – one for $650, one for $775 and one for $1000. The other driver then proceeded to say that she will take a check for the sum of $750 which she says is the average of the quotes. No police reports or insurance claims were filed. What do I do?

Asked on September 14, 2017 under Accident Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to refer the matter to your auto insurance company and let your insurance handle it.
Since the other driver has already fabricated the facts according to the letter you received, how can she be trusted to sign a release of her claim if you do pay the amount she is demanding?  Without a signed release, she may attempt to file a lawsuit against you even after you pay.
Since you were at fault in the accident, why wouldn't she have wanted to file a property damage claim with your insurance carrier? It wouldn't affect her insurance premiums.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption