What determines the division of losses upon the sale of jointly owned home when both parties make the same amount of money?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What determines the division of losses upon the sale of jointly owned home when both parties make the same amount of money?

Married 7 months. Husband wants divorce. Wife demanding payment of her legal fees and that husband assume all loses on sale of home. Or husband assume house payment and all expenses, lease the home and refinance or sell within 18 months, with husband covering all losses. Husband’s lawyer said since he wants the divorce he has to “suck it up” (sic) and payer her legal fees of $1500 and assume the house losses. They make the same amount of money. There is not other party involved.

Asked on August 19, 2011 Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think that it is time for you to get another lawyer.  Generally speaking, courts do not award attorneys fees unless there are certain situations that have evolved in a divorce action.  Just wanting to get divorced is not really one of them.  And it is my understanding that in Virginia, attorney's fees awards usually are not ordered where the defending spouse's income is substantially similar to or in excess of that of the other spouse.  Now, does your attorney mean you should fold on the fees issue because your spouse will fight you on the divorce and it will end up costing you more?  That could be.  But the issue on the splitting up of the house is very unfair and I do not think that you should agree to the former at least until you speak with someone else.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption