What creditors get paid out of estate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What creditors get paid out of estate?

We had mail forwarded, how do we know which
debt put a claim towards the estate? It’s been
9 months and we are closing the estate soon. Do
only the debts that sent the pmexecutor of the
estate a letter within the 90 days get paid? Or
do all debts get paid?

Asked on February 21, 2018 under Estate Planning, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  So it is my understanding under the Probate law for the state of Utah that if the creditor fails to present its claim within 90 days of the date of the FIRST publication of the Notice that the executor is required to publish (called Notice to Creditors) then their claim may be barred.  Make sure that you have done everything to give the proper notice and then proceed.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption