What course of action should I take on a business that only replaced 2 out of 4 brakes but for which I paid for replacement of all of the brakes?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What course of action should I take on a business that only replaced 2 out of 4 brakes but for which I paid for replacement of all of the brakes?

I recently had to replace all brakes on my car. Soon after I heard grinding when braking and just the other day they bottomed out and the red brake light came on. I was scared so bad; I was afraid I was going to have an accident and kill someone or myself. My son took the car back only to find out the back brakes had not been done. They are now replacing those without cost. It seems to me the car should have been test driven before leaving property. What can I do about this serious matter?

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Business Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you paid for the replacement of all four (4) brake pads but only two (2) were replaced, you have an issue with the repair facility. However, your question does reference that the facility is now replacing the two (2) that it did not replace but charged you for at no cost, then you have no real damages in terms of actual dollars and cents to claim.

Most states have a bureau of automotive repairs to regulate and oversee licensed automotive repair facilities like the one you took your vehicle to. Its job is to investigate consumer complaints as well. California has such an administrative agency.

If you want to take your concerns further over what happened to you and your vehicle and the failure of the automotive repair facility to do what you paid it to do, you might consider contacting your state's bureau of automotive repairs assuming there is one and lodging a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption