Would an incident of domestic violence affect my ability to relocate out-of-state with my daughter?

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would an incident of domestic violence affect my ability to relocate out-of-state with my daughter?

I was recently denied the right to relocate with my daughter to CA from FL to be with my new husband. My ex (daughter’s father) recently came to my home and cut me in the face after threatening to kill me. My husband saw the whole thing and my friends have witnessed him being physical with me before. Would this recent abuse give me any more options seeing that my custody case is already closed? My ex is being charged with felony assault and battery with a deadly weapon. And I already have a restraining order.

Asked on August 18, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Please, please, please seek legal help as soon as you possibly can.  These facts I believegive rise to a valid re-opening of the custody issue and I think that you should seek to have sole legal custody of your daughter at this point in time.  You should also seek to limit his visitation to supervised and honestly I would consider terminating his parental rights all together.  The safety of you and your daughter are really what is of utmost importance here.  I think that once that is properly established through the right channels (the court) you will find that the court will look quite differently on the issue of relocation or that the issue will be moot as he will no longer have a say.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption