What constitutes filing a false report?

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constitutes filing a false report?

My husband had been drinking and had a gun laying on his lap. I went to my mother’s house; she has mental problems and I am bi-polar. She kept at me until I called my local police department across from my house and I told the policeman that my husband and I had an argument. I believe that I may have said he “sort of” pointed it at me. I was not assaulted – physically or verbally. I told him that I was at my mother’s house and my husband was going to bed. He said if I wanted to file a report I could come by the next day and sign. Was talking to him that night filing a report? I did not go by and sign anythin

Asked on January 20, 2011 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It really depends on how the law in Tennessee is written but reporting a crime - which pointing a gun at a person can be put in that category - to a police officer (or in some states it is referred to as  peace officer) - can also be interpreted as filing a police report if all the information is taken down and reported and recorded.  It seems here that the police may not have taken you very seriously - which is disturbing in an of itself - but I might speak with an attorney in your area to cover yourself.  Filing a false report is a very serious offense and it can be either a misdemeanor or a felony. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption