What constitutes abandonment?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constitutes abandonment?

We are doing badly financially. My husband does not have a paying job. He insisted I move to another state to live with my mom so he could rent our house. He lives in his home “office” in the basement. Can he claim I abandoned him if I apply for residency in the state I am now living in?

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Why, may I ask,do you need to claim that you abandoned him to declare your residency?  First, I would not make an admission like that and second, you need not have to to change your residency.  What you need to do is to establish yourself as a resident of the state of Colorado.  There may be certain requirements that are particular to the state and I would consult with a divorce attorney to be sure.  But the "regular" things that people do are change their driver's license, register to vote, change their mailing address (easy to do on line) for bills, etc.  Get help here now that you have the positive support of family.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption