What consideration should I list on quitclaim deed for giving property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What consideration should I list on quitclaim deed for giving property?

My brother and I recently inherited the family home from my mother 50 each. I don’t have any interest in the home since my brother has lived there almost all his life. I would like to remove my name from the inherited deed and just let my brother have the whole thing. I was told I needed to fill out a quitclaim deed form which I am doing but I’m wondering what I should list for consideration? I don’t want any money from my brother for this. Do I just list 0?

Asked on October 23, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Why don't you have your brother at least state in writing that he will waive any claims he might have arising from the property (e.g. he can't after the fact claim that you owe him for some costs incurred in regards to the home) and that he will "indemnify and hold you harmless" from any claims that 3rd parties (other people) might have in regards to the home--i.e. if someone tries to sue claiming they were owed money in connection with the home or were injured at it, your brother will deal with the lawsuit and pay any amounts found to be owed? That seems reasonable in exchange for him getting the property--he gets the property, so he gets any claims--and you can list that, the waiver and the indeminification, as the consideration. Morevoer, that is legally good consideration: a court would conclude that this was adequate consideration. And it helps fully disentangle you from the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption