What charges are we looking at for a first offense?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What charges are we looking at for a first offense?

My sister was just booked for public drunkenness and placing bodily fluids on a government employee. I am not familiar with the steps to take or what to expect. This is her first offense of anything. I really I don’t know what questions to ask I need some guidance and what to expect her hearing is tomorrow or even what to look for a lawyer? This is not like her and I am beside myself in what to do.

Asked on February 17, 2016 under Criminal Law, Oklahoma


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Most people who are charged for the first time are offered probation or some type of rehab program.  If your sister has a drinking problem, then she would be a good candidate for one of these programs.  When looking for an attorney to help your sister, find one that has experience with the court where her charges are pending.  An attorney familiar with that court will know how to get your sister a better deal and into the best programs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption