What can you do, if your former employer refuses to provide receipt of uniforms your are returning?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can you do, if your former employer refuses to provide receipt of uniforms your are returning?

I just left my job and want to return my uniform and badges. However, I’ve heard other former employees have had money deducted from their final paychecks even after returning company property (i.e. uniforms, badges, etc.). I put together and brief letter for both the employer and I to sign, stating the property has been returned and therefore waiving any responsibility. If they refused to sign the letter when I bring in the property, should I then have another letter stating I attempted to return the uniforms and bring a witness with me or what? My former employer is very untrustworthy and this is one main reason I resigned recently. I don’t want them to possibly take any funds from my last paycheck. What do you recommend I do?

Asked on October 31, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless your employee handbook clearly and specifically states that deductions for unreturned uniforms will be made--or there is some other written agreement to that effect--you employer *can't* legally deduct for your uniform without your agreement or consent to let them do so. If they do improperly take money--i.e. take money without something in writing giving them the right--you could contact the state department of labor to file a complaint and/or sue them in small claims court.
If they do have something in writing in the employee handbook or a separate agreement, however, then they could deduct.
You can't make them sign anything against their will, so if they won't sign a receipt you provide, having a back-up letter won't help. (If you do want to increase the odds of the receipt being signed, make it *just* a receipt: the more you put in about policy, claims, etc. the greater the chance that the manager or coworker receiving the uniform will refuse to sign.) Having a witness when you return could be useful if you have to file a claim; also, you could use a phone or digital camera to take a date and time stamped picture of what you are returning.
If they lie and try to deduct for things you returned, you could sue, such as in small claims, for the money, if doing so is economically worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption