What can you do if your employer asks you to do something illegal

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can you do if your employer asks you to do something illegal

I work for a city as a Building Official. I would not approve a
church expanding without a sprinkler system as required by code. My
supervisor told me to approve it. I refused and was placed on
Administrative Leave a few weeks later with the excuse that there was
an investigation on me. I believe they plan to fire me so they can
approve the church to open without a sprinkler system.

Asked on July 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You really need to get a copy of your employee handbook and take it to an employment law attorney.  Employment law is a type of administrative law.  This means that you are required to exhaust administrative remedies for certain claims.  You may have a whistle blower action since you are being asked to do something illegal.  However, visit with an attorney so that you don't accidentally waive any admisitrative requirements.  Once you exhaust your administrative remedies, you may then want or need to file a wrongful termination suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption