what can you do if your boss is a bully?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what can you do if your boss is a bully?

i asked my co worker how it went on friday went i was out sick because i
came back to 14 messages on my answering machine. SHE said my coworker
that was sent there to cover did NOT sit at my desk nor did he check
messages and that turned into my boss sending ME an email stating that i
was gossiping and not allowed to discuss what my coworkers do or not do
when they are covering for me and if my team that i work with in the
same office need to know anything it will come from her.

Asked on February 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is a legal remedy regarding a " hostile workplace environment". This occurs when the conditions of your workplace prevent you from performing your job duties in a reasonable manner. In such a situation, a boss and/or co-worker creates an environment that is counterproductive due to their behavior and/or actions. However, typically, these behaviors must be legally discriminatory and not just a result of boorish or rude behavior.
d on the facts presented, your treatment was obnoxious and unprofessional but it would appear legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption