What can we do about the company my husband works for not giving him the $2 dollar raise he is owed for moving and it has already been over 2 months?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do about the company my husband works for not giving him the $2 dollar raise he is owed for moving and it has already been over 2 months?

The company was suppose to give him a $2 raise for transferring to another warehouse a little over 2 months ago, he still has not seen any of that raise. That adds up to quite a bit of money they have stolen from him now. What can we do to get that money and ensure that he gets the raise he is still owed?

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If there was an actual employment contract specifying the raise or wage, you can enforce it.

Or if based on the promise of the raise, your husband did something to his detriment--for example, the new warehouse is considerably further from his home; he is working a less desirable shift; or he is doing materially harder or less desirable work (e.g. at the new warehouse, the physical demands of the job are much more punishing)--then he may be able to enforce the promise of a raise under the doctrine of promissory estoppel, through a lawsuit.

However, if there is little (relatively speaking) to choose between in regards to working at one warehouse or working at the other, and there is no contract, then this would have been a "gratuitious promise" which the employer could renege on.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption