What can we do about my husband’s employer not paying him all his money?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do about my husband’s employer not paying him all his money?

My husband works for his parents so I know this will get messy if we choose to pursue legal action. However, my husband’s parents take money away from his check all the time It is not taxes or anything this week my husband earned $750 based on the per job pay and the hours when they did not complete a job but worked on one. He was paid $375 and last week he was supposed to make $950 and they only paid him $830. These also pale in comparison to when they have literally paid him $100 for a weeks worth of work. He got another job at night and it was a big deal they began working him like a dog until he had to quit the night job and then

they took away his pay again. This is all because of problems between his dad and his mom absolutely nothing to do with anything my husband has done. We have 3 kids and we have to pay their insurance this week because they do not provide benefits and electricity this week which would have been covered if they had paid the full amount. I am so upset at this. They don’t have anything writing though so I don’t know if it will hold up in court. What can we do?

Asked on August 30, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Your husband can sue his employer parents for breach of contract / account stated. 
Your husband's damages (monetary compensation he is seeking in his lawsuit) would be the amount he is owed.
He can file his lawsuit in small claims court. Upon prevailing in the case, he can recover court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption