What can Sallie Mae collect against a co-signer if the loan has gone into default?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can Sallie Mae collect against a co-signer if the loan has gone into default?

I make the mistake of co-signing back about 3 years ago for my son to attend school. I was informed at the time that once he was employed and after 2 years, I’d be off the agreement. Well, my son is still unemployed and I’m no longer employed (on social security). Next year, the Sallie Mae monthly payments will double and frankly I cannot justify payments when they do. I need to know what damage they can do when I stop payments? My wife is an employed school teacherbut did not sign the agreement. We reside in WA state. We own our home valued at about $250K.

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you co-signed your som's school loan, you are also obligated on your son's loan if he fails to make payments on it. This is the problem when one co-signs a loan. Many people co-sign loans without realizing that ultimately they could be responsible for paying back the loan where the person for whom the loan was obtained defaults upon it.

The liability that you could be responsible for is the amount remaining on the loan plus accrued interest. Additional concern could be your responsibility for attorney fees and court costs.

You should consult with an attorney about asset protection for you concerning the current situation and the best way to try and resolve it.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption