What can my landlord do to me for breaking my lease?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can my landlord do to me for breaking my lease?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

A lease is a contract between those who sign it.  You are obligated to follow the terms and conditions in the lease from start date to end date.  So first, read your lease for the exact penalties that may be involved.  They will be enforced by a court unless they are seen as against public policy or local laws.  If your landlord used a "standard" lease then the terms and penalties in the lease are probably not against public policy or local laws.

If you break your lease your landlord will most likely take you to court for the balance remaining.  I am not admitted in North Carolina so I am not familiar with the landlord tenant laws in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption