What can I sue for if I was kicked out of a private Christian university for speculations of homosexuality?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I sue for if I was kicked out of a private Christian university for speculations of homosexuality?

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Personal Injury, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you may not have any recourse, other than possibly suing for breach of contract (see below). Federal law does not prevent discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in education, and neither does  your state's laws. Furthermore, if it is a fully private university, if it does not receive federal funding or support, it might not be subject to anti-discrimination law, even if any applied; and religious-based or affiliated institutions have some additional protections, when making decisions informed by their religious beliefs.

If you have already paid for classes and been kicked out without a refund, the university may have breached its contract or agreement with you; review the terms under which you were enrolled to see if you had agreed to any provisions allowing them to kick you out under these circumstances. If not, you may have able to sue to recover some monetary compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption