What information can I share legally with others regarding an affair that I had?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What information can I share legally with others regarding an affair that I had?

I had an affair with a married man who shared his divorce proceedings with me, including answers to interrogatories where he admits a lot of important things. He has since also betrayed me and committed many offenses. I want to share this document to prove that I am speaking the truth. Since he willingly shared it with me, can I show this document to others, including people who are his superiors at work?

Asked on July 7, 2019 under Personal Injury, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can legally share confidences, even answers to interrogatories, which were shared with you so long as 1) you never signed anything (e.g. a confidentialiality agreeement) in which you contractualy obligated yourself to not disclose the information; or 2) there is no court order in effect barring disclosure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption