What can I get for first time retail theft?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I get for first time retail theft?

I switched price tags on an item under $100 and got caught.

Asked on January 12, 2015 under Criminal Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Petty Theft is a misdemeanor of the first degree in Ohio when the value of property or services stolen is less than $1,000.  (Ohio Rev. Code Ann. § 2913.02(B)(2).) The punishment for a misdemeanor of the first degree in Ohio is a term of imprisonment of not more than 180 days, a fine of not more than $1,000, or both.  (§ 2929.24(A)(1), § 2929.28(A)(2).)

That being said, there are often diversion programs for first offenders that would result in the matter going away.  Get legal help asap.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption