What can I expect when I appear in court for the charge of theft?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I expect when I appear in court for the charge of theft?

The theft was of $50 from my work, which I did return that night. I also resigned from my job and was arrested. I have no priors and have never been in trouble with the law before. I am an honest good person who do to outside circumstances get the best of them and pushed them over the edge. Can I face additional charges once in court or just the charge of the theft of the $50?

Asked on January 4, 2015 under Criminal Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Although it is not possible to predict what will occur in your case regarding a sentence, since you don't have a prior record and the amount that was taken was small, you will probably end up with a fine and possibly community service.

The theft charge is the only charge you will be facing in court assuming that there aren't any additional facts regarding the incident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption