What Can I expect during the divorce?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What Can I expect during the divorce?

I am 52, married since 1985, 2 kids 1 in college and 1 in middle school. Wife is 10 yrs younger. She is working but has fibromalja (sp). I make 55k and she makes 24k. We lease a home, no property. What can I expect to have in child support? How much shld it cost to divorce?

Asked on May 11, 2009 under Family Law, Virginia


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately a divorce is an extremely discretionary type of law. It makes answering your questions very difficult because without knowing the specifics an attorney cannot determine costs and even with specifics it is in the hands of the judge.

If you are getting divorced you should find an attorney and usually the initial consultation is free. Explain everything to them and they may have a better idea of the costs associated with said divorce.

Just to quickly answer as best I can the cost of a divorce all depends on how long the proceedings are dragged out, are all parties cooperating, are there many assets? A simple amicable divorce can be a few thousand and a messy drawn out divorce can costs hundreds of thousands...as i said it all depends on the circumstances

As for child support it again depends on the custody of the children, ages of the children, and the type of lifestyle they are accustomed to.

Call a local divorce attorney and sit down for a consultation, you will feel much better once you have spoken to someone who can specifically address your concerns

Good Luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption