What can I expect after being charged for shoplifting?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I expect after being charged for shoplifting?

Charged with shoplifting 72. Its my first
offense, am I going to jail? Fines?

Asked on January 21, 2019 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

First of all, for a first offense shoplifting charge of $75, jail in not something that you need toworry about, although probation and a fine are likely. Further, when a defendant has no prior criminal record, the court will allow for a special probation known as "diversion". This is an alternative sentencing tool that allows a person clear their criminal record upon successful completion. The way it works is that the defendant goes to court and pleads guilty to the offense. The judge then issues a probation (community service, imposition of a fine, resitution, etc). If and when the sentence is fully completed, the plea is withdrawn and the case is dismissed. Basically, the case is "diverted" out of the criminal justice system, so you will be left with a clean criminal history record.
At this point you may want to consult with a criminal law attorney. Diversion is only available to first-time offenders. If they can get the charge dropped on a technicality or the like, then diversion would be available to your son in the future should he ever need it (hopefully not)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption