What can I do if I haven’t received my final paycheck that I should have received 6 days ago?

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I haven’t received my final paycheck that I should have received 6 days ago?

In my contract it stated I was supposed to be paid on the 5th and 20th. Well the 20th came and was told my check would be mailed to me. I never received it in the mail and it’s going on day 6. What legal recourse do I have?

Asked on November 26, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your only legal recourse is to sue to receive the money. While you may sue in small claims court, where you can act as your own attorney and costs are significantly lower, it will still cost some money and take time. Before you get to that stage, it may be better to ask your employer to cancel the previous check, issue another one, and let you pick it up in person (or else send it in some way they can track, such as Fed Ex). If they won't you can always file a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption