What can I do to waive the 90 day waiting period for my divorce?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to waive the 90 day waiting period for my divorce?

I filed for divorce on the 2nd of lasy month and the divorce won’t be allowed to be signed until the second of the month after next (which also says to me it could take longer for the judge to sign it). I want to waive this but I was told by a court clerk that there was no point in me filing for a waiver, as they all get rejected. I need a waiver to change my military paperwork, and block my phone from my soon-to-be ex-husband as he’s been harrassing me, and threatening to ruin my career. What can I do to speed up this divorce process and have it finalized?

Asked on August 24, 2012 under Family Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of each given state in this country there is typically a "cooling off" period for a person to have a dissolution decided and approved. In California, there is a six (6) month period for a dissolution to be approved after an answer is filed to the petition for dissolution by the respondent. In your matter, you cannot speed up the dissolution process. One way to assist you in your matter is for you to retain a family law attorney to complete the dissolution process for you so that you can ascertain your options such as a possible restraining order against your soon to be "ex".

Possibly retaining a family law attorney may assist in getting your decree of dissolution pushed through sooner than if you were continuing representing yourself in your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption