What canI do to stop an eviction due to a deposit dispute?

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do to stop an eviction due to a deposit dispute?

I own a mobile home and rent the lot. When I moved in I was told I needed 2 months deposit down and if in a year I am current it would be returned as applied to rent. My year came up and problems began; the property manager told me she was going to have the deposit released. The owner vetoed and said no only half and in 6 months time if you’re not late you can get the rest. I argued and eventually had no choice but to agree. Well it time to release the remainder and I receive an eviction notice 5 days. They are not doing what they said and I’m scared, nothing was ever in writing.

Asked on August 26, 2011 Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Is there any specific reason why you are being evicted by the landlord stated in the notice? If not, you are entitled to receive the return of your security deposit by the landlord since you are current with your rent.

It seems as though you are being evicted in retaliation for asserting what you believed was due you. If you do not want to vacate the lot you are renting, you need to have a meeting with the property manager first to see what can be done and if that does not resolve matters, have a meeting with the owner. If that does not resolve the situation where the eviction notice to you is rescinded, and if you can afford an attorney, you should consult with one who practices landlord tenant law as soon as possible.

If you cannot afford an attorney, see if your county has a "legal aid" program that assists people with legal problems such as you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption