what can i do to remove my name form a home that i co signed for?

UPDATED: Mar 22, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 22, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what can i do to remove my name form a home that i co signed for?

I co-signed for a home for my brother 7 yrs ago and now he let the house go under foreclose, it is ruining my credit score.

Asked on March 22, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't remove your name unless *all* parties to the agreement--which would include your brother and the bank--agree to let you be removed, and they do not have to agree--it is their free choice whether to let you off or not. (And the bank almost certainly will not, since letting you off reduces the number of people it can sue or try to collect from.) When there is an agreement, party A cannot change the agreement without parties B and C concurring. You may be able to sue your brother for any costs or harm you incur, but that won't help with avoiding the foreclosure, or if he does not have the money to pay any judgment or award against him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption