What can I do to protect my father from loosing his limited assets which include a condo that he and I jointly own?

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to protect my father from loosing his limited assets which include a condo that he and I jointly own?

My 85 year old father is in hospital. He had surgery and has been improving. The doctors want to release him but they do not judge him mentally competent. They told me he needs 24 hour supervision due to his competency condition. Since I do not live there, a neighbor of his has been pushing for the hospital to release him to her. She told the hospital social service case manager she wants access to his finances. I was told that a petition for guardianship will be filed. I believe the neighbor is after my father’s money and will push the guardian for payments for taking care of him.

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to have a face to face meeting with your father's treating physician about his condition and what needs to be done in the future to take care of him as well as his mental condition. If the treating physician believes he is mentally competent, you need to have a power of attorney drafted (assuming one is not in existence) appointing you as his attorney in fact.

You as the son are in the best position to file a petition for a guardianship for your father where you would be the natural person to be appounted as such. I recommend that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney as to the best way to proceed in assisting your father.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption