What can I do to make sure my ex refinance his vehicle?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to make sure my ex refinance his vehicle?

I am recently divorced and the decree stated that my ex will need to refinance the truck within 60 days of finalization. It is well past that date, yet he hasn’t refinanced and is now delinquent on the loan and has not made a payment for this month. What can I do legally to enforce him refinancing?

Asked on April 23, 2019 under Family Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can bring a motion in court to enforce the decree: the court can then enforce it's own decree or order by sanctioning your ex, such as for "contempt of court" (fines or possibly imprisonment). A lawyer would clearly be helpful, but if determined to do this yourself,  contact the court's clerk's office, explain that a decree is being violated, and ask about the procedure to enforce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption