What can I do to help myself in court for first offense shoplifting?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to help myself in court for first offense shoplifting?

I completed PTI over a year ago so I am not eligible. Is there anything I can do to help myself in court. I make too much for a public defender and cannot afford an attorney, so I have to represent myself in court. I want to help myself as much as I am able.

Asked on June 26, 2016 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since PTI is no longer available to you and for various reasons you can't get an attorney to represnt you, you will have to as the saying goes, "throw yourself on the mercy of the court". In other words, explain your situation as best you can and hope that the judge is understanding. The fact is that PTI is designed to give a person a second chance; it should have been a wake-up call for you but you apparently didn't get the message. That all having been said, you may have some recourse. There is something called "expungement", which is a legal mechanism that will allow a person who was convicted of a crime to have it cleared from their record. While not available to all those convicted and while not available for all offenses, it is something that you can check into in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption