What can I do to get repayment of a loan from a person that I let borrow with the intent to pay me back?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to get repayment of a loan from a person that I let borrow with the intent to pay me back?

I have loaned money to the son of a women that I was living with. The relationship ended and now I have been told that I am not to contact anyone in her family or harassment charges will be brought against me. I am owed $10,000.

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are owed ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00) from the son of your former girlfriend, you should do the the following:

1. write the son requesting re-paymentof the money lent over a certain time period with a written response requested within a certain time period;

2. if you do not receive the requested response, you will then need to file an action seeking the return of the ten thousand dollars ($10,000.00) loaned under breach of contract and common counts causes of action. You should also be asking for pre-judgment interest as well.

Hopefully you have a cancelled check, a promissory note or some other document showing that you loaned the son the amount you did.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption