What can I do to force an insurance company to remove erroneous claim settlement information off of insurance databases?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to force an insurance company to remove erroneous claim settlement information off of insurance databases?

My name appears on insurance databases reflecting that I received a $20,000 settlement from an insurance company for a homeowner’s claim filed August 2011 by my ex-husband. We were divorced over 1 1/2 years ago and I vacated the house the next month. The insurance agent said the check was made out to only my ex-spouse because he provided a copy of the divorce decree. I asked the agent why my name was not removed from the policy. After talking with several people at the insurance company for 2 hours they said their system would not allow them to correct the error. The insurance company I tried to get homeowner’s insurance with has denied me and others gave me astronomical quotes because now I am considered a “high risk”.

Asked on July 13, 2012 under General Practice, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and remove reference from an insurance carrier's date base that you received a $20,000 settlement from a particular carrier is to write the insurance company and request a letter of explanation designated in the claim if the carrier will not correct the perceived error that you have written about.

One way to possibly force the issue is for you to retain an attorney that practices in the area of insurance law to write a letter to the insurance carrier seeking a letter of explanation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption