What can I do to fight a claim that we are at fault for an accident if we never hit the vehicle?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to fight a claim that we are at fault for an accident if we never hit the vehicle?

The insurance that represents a Camry is claiming that we owe them $8,000 due to them being rear-ended. What had happened was someone in the Jeep Wrangler rear ended the Camry and they had no damage done to them and we rear ended them with our aviator. The Jeep Wrangler had no damage done to it which they also claim this to be true. The Camry states that there was more damages done to it which isn’t the case and we have the pictures to prove for evidence.

Asked on September 29, 2017 under Accident Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can fight  the claim if you are sued (and note: until/unless you are sued and the other side wins, you do not have to pay anything) by presenting evidence  in court (photos, police reports, credible witness--including your own--testimony, etc.) showing both or either that you were not at fault in damaging their car and/or that they suffered less (or no) damage compared to what they are claiming--or similarly, that their claimed costs for repair are inflated and false. Basically, if sued, provide evidence to support what you wrote in your question. If you can convince a court you did not damage them, were not fault in the accident, and/or that their damage was less than they claim, you can avoid paying what they are claiming.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption