What can I do to claim adverse possession?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to claim adverse possession?

My husband’s ex wife is trying to sell
and evict us from the house we currently
live in. The house is under her name but
in divorce she did not claim the
property and he paid for most of it.

Asked on February 1, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

To claim adverse posession in the situation you describe, you would have to have lived there for 10 years without her permission to do so. Less time than that, or if for some of that 10 year period, whomever was there had the permission of the person in whose name the home is titled, and you have no case for adverse possession.
Paying for the property is irrelevant if it's in her name: who paid does not affect ownership. If you husband paid most of the cost, he should have made sure his name was on the title.
If you don't meet the requirements to claim adverse possession, she will be abe to evict or remove you; the law is clear that you have no right to live in another's home once she wants you out, and if it is titled in her name, it is her home and she decides who may live there.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption