What can I do to a contractor who has broken a written and verbal contract.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to a contractor who has broken a written and verbal contract.

My house was hit by a tree. The roof was severely damaged and the interior of the house was damaged as well. There was a contract signed in mid-July the work was to be finished by Sept. 23expired entered a verbal contract for before Thanksgiving. The contractor got roofing that was mismatched to the part of the roof that didn’t need replaced. There is bowing in the roof they put upmetal they did not put the soffit up nor did they put the attic floor down. They have now said they will be down when they can. They have already received 8800 and intend to bill more money for unfinished work.

Asked on November 28, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the contractor--both written and oral (that, not "verbal," is the correct term for an unwritten agreement) contracts are enforceable. You would sue based on both breach of contract (not providing the work or quality of work which the contractor promised) and also fraud (misrepresenting, or lying about, about they could or would do).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption