What can I do my husband’s immigration case has been under administrative process for over a year?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do my husband’s immigration case has been under administrative process for over a year?

I filed a I-130 petition for my husband almost 3 years ago and he had his visa interview 13 months ago. At the interview he was told, his documents are complete and to wait for a call from the embassy. As of today it has been over a year and we haven’t heard anything back from the embassy. I tried calling the embassy to get update on my husband’s case but didn’t get a definitive answer but that the case is under administrative process.

Asked on April 12, 2012 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is really nothing you can do except follow up from time to time.  I suspect that the administrative process hold is on this case because the Embassy suspects that the marriage is not bona fide.  It is very possible that at some point they will simply let you know that they are revoking the approval.  THis is often the case wherein the marriage is such that the spouses rarely see one another and have been married for quite some time; it is then suspected that the marriage was entered into for immigration purposes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption